QUEEN OF THE NIGHT ... bakawali

 Salam and good day,

I walked into my yard early one morning, around 6.30 am and I was greeted by a glorious sight. Glorious because it was such a rare sight to behold. 


Yes. I was greeted by the still blooming Bakawali flower or its not so exotic scientific name Epiphyllum Oxytpetallum.  Mind you, I was lucky to be able to catch it still blooming as it was already daylight and the flower was already wilting, never to bloom again. 

also known as Queen of the night
, Gul-e-Bakavali, Kadupul, Brahma Kamalam, Beauty below the moon

Blooming only once a year, the blooming period is said to be from the end of June till early July, which was around the time I took these pictures. Being a night blooming cactus, they start to open after dusk, around 8 or nine pm and start to fade after dawn. hence the name Queen of the night. Not only that, each flower will only bloom once and only for a few hours. 

That is why we will never see this flower being sold in flower shops and florist or blooming in the nursery. They could never make it to the shops. so, they can never be bought in all their entirety, which renders them priceless, ergo, the most expensive flower in the world.

Luckily, there were a few more buds that hasn't bloomed. I waited 2 days for them to bloom.

so here it is, the Queen of the night in all its glory, captured on 21.06.2021 at 11.35 pm

Oh, did I tell you about the scent? How would I describe the scent. It is soft, warm and sweet, and it perfumed my whole yard. Heavenly. 

However, if you are an avid believer of the paranormal, smelling the Bakawali scent in the middle of the night would definitely make the hair on your arm stand up and send you scrambling indoor. Incidentally,  just a few moments ago, a booming thunder cracked the sky. I nearly jumped out of my skin. Well, I guess that's my cue to stop.  

REFERENCES:

https://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokok_Bakawali
http://ipgmktar.edu.my/etnobotani/2018/10/22/bunga-bakawali/
https://www.nst.com.my/news/2015/09/moonlight-beauty
http://pplh.ulm.ac.id/id/2020/02/28/15-bunga-terlangka-di-dunia/



No comments:

Post a Comment

:-)

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME ... tuberose

  Salam and good day.  It's the end of July/ early August, and my tuberose is blooming. Go figure. Despite its name, tuberose is not act...